Who remembers those ice cream buster bars from Dairy Queen and how they really hit the spot in the summer time. Well here’s a vegan version of those Bars.
Vegan Buster Bars Recipe type: dessertIngredients
- 9 ounces chocolate sandwich cookies (1/2 a standard package)
- 1/4 c vegan margarine, melted
- 1 quart vegan vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1/2 lb salted peanuts
- 3/4 c warm water
- 2/3 c soy powder
- 1 c powdered sugar
- 1/3 c chocolate chips
- 1/4 c vegan margarineInstructions
- Pulse cookies in a food processor for a few seconds until finely crushed.
- Stir in 1/4 c melted margarine and press mixture into bottom of a 9×9” baking dish.
- Carefully spoon softened ice cream over crust.
- Sprinkle with peanuts.
- Place dish in freezer while you prepare topping.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together water and soy powder until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar, chocolate chips, and margarine and cook over low heat, stirring frequently until chips melt and mixture is smooth.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for ten minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure nothing sticks to the bottom or sides. (Don’t be scared — I promise the chocolate won’t seize up!)
- Set mixture aside and allow to cool completely.
- Spread mixture evenly over peanut layer and return to freezer until firm.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into squares and serve.Notes
The batch I made was ready to eat straight out of the freezer, but if your freezer runs particularly cold, allow it to soften slightly by placing the dish in the refrigerator for about ten minutes prior to serving.