This is a great version of a sloppy joe which is vegan friendly and sure to impress the carnivore also. By using lentils you are making sure it is protein-packed and the sauce makes it so that the meat-lovers are happy also
Red Lentil Sloppy Joes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook/assembly time: 15-20 minutes
Vegan, gluten-free option, nut-free, dairy free
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups red lentils, prepared
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 – 2/3 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 -1 Carmen or red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 jalepeno, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (if vegan, make sure you’re using a vegan brand!)
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon red wine or balsamic vinegar
- Dash of cayenne
- If you did not prepare the sloppy joe sauce beforehand, whisk together ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, molasses, vinegar, and cayenne. Add lentils and mix thoroughly. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium low heat. Sauté onion for 3-5 minutes, until soft and translucent. Add Carmen or bell pepper and jalepeno, sautéing for 3-5 minutes longer.
- Add lentil and sauce mixture, warming over medium heat for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve on whole wheat or gluten free buns with a side salad or leftover roasted vegetables.
This is a great recipe and sure to please any member of your family. Enjoy!