I am really getting into vegan muffins and am always looking for new recipes to try. I saw a page talking about making vegan s’mores and at the bottom of the page was a link to these muffins. Now chocolate or chocolate chocolate chip muffins are great, but chocolate muffins that also have marshmallow in them, well what’s not to like?
- 1 cup unbleached AP flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup Sucanat
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup nondairy milk
- 1/4 cup canola or sunflower oil
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped dark chocolate
- 12 vegan marshmallows, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a muffin pan with paper muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the unbleached flour, whole wheat flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the nondairy milk, oil, maple syrup, vinegar and vanilla extract until well blended.
- Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just blended. Gently fold in the chocolate and marshmallows.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full. Bake at 350F for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Allow the muffins to cool for 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.