When it comes to deserts there’s nothing like a great batch of cupcakes. Now chocolate cupcakes are even better but when I came across this recipe for chocolate cupcakes with cinnamon frosting I just had to share them with everyone. These were made for Cinco de Mayo and with some of the ingredents you can see why. I think these can diffently be considered to have a Mexican flavor.
Cupcakes (makes 24)
2.5 c. flour
2 c. sugar
¾ c. cocoa
2 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 ½ tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. cayenne pepper (you could use a bit less if you are very sensitive to spices)
1 ½ tsp. espresso powder
2 c. warm water
2 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1 Tbs. vanilla
Cinnamon “Buttercream” Frosting
1 stick vegan butter substitute
3 c. powdered sugar
1 ½ tsp. vanilla
1 ½ tsp. cinnamon (plus extra to sprinkle on top)
2 Tbs. almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- Add warm water, apple cider vinegar, oil, and vanilla, stirring until well combined.
- Pour batter into lined muffin pans, filling each ¾ of the way full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Cool before icing.
- Whip room temperature butter substitute until light and fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar gradually.
- Add vanilla, cinnamon, and almond milk as necessary until desired consistency is achieved.
- Frost cupcakes and sprinkle a dash of extra cinnamon on top of each cupcake to garnish.