In the summer when it is over 90 degrees outside you really don’t feel like cooking a meal and warming up the house anymore than it is already. That’s when you start looking for something that’s easy to make and if you don’t have to cook it that makes it even more special. Here are 5 meals that fit that bill, hope you find something you enjoy.
1. Taco Salad – Taco salad is a quick, easy, and satisfying meal you can put together in just a few minutes. Simply prepare and set out the ingredients, and let everyone make their own bowl! Customize to your liking, but recommended ingredients include mixed greens (or lettuce), chopped tomatoes, black beans, mashed avocado (or guacamole), shredded vegan cheese, salsa, and tortilla chips. Yum!
2. Raw Soups – Raw soups make a great appetizer or light summer meal, and are an excellent way to use a variety of seasonal produce. From avocados to mushrooms to zucchini, there’s something for every palate in this lineup of fresh, tasty raw soups: Raw Green Pea Soup; Raw Marinated Mushroom Soup; Raw Asparagus Soup; Raw Carrot Avocado Soup; Raw Cream of Broccoli Mushroom Soup; Raw Harvest Soup.
3. Pitas and Wraps – Stuff a pita, tortilla, or lettuce wrap with a “mock” version of a traditional chicken, tuna, or egg salad. This tempeh-based Mock Chicken Salad is a super-satisfying, protein-packed, and delicious choice! (Can be made ahead of time and refrigerated). Vegan Chicken Salad can also be made with packaged “chik’n” style strips. Or use sprouted lentils for a filling, soy-free option, as in this Spicy Lentil Salad.
4. Smoothies – Smoothies are the ultimate warm weather meal or snack idea! Cool, refreshing, light, and fruity, who can resist a frosty smoothie on a hot summer day? If you’re using it as a meal, don’t forget to add some protein and healthy fat to help keep you satisfied. Try the Pink Powerhouse, Strawberry Mango Protein, Garden Bliss, Coconut Ginger, Beginner Green, Cranberry Coconut, Strawberry Rhubarb smoothies, or make your own Amazing Green Smoothie Combo!
5. Green Salads – Salads should not be considered a wimpy, unsatisfying meal option or a last resort! There are TONS of amazing ways to jazz up the basic green salad. Shelled edamame, marinated tofu or tempeh cubes, and beans are great protein sources, while nuts, seeds, and avocado are tasty ways to add some healthy fat. See our 5 Step Guide to Making Vegan Super Salads for more inspiration and 15 awesome salad recipes!